Wednesday, July 22, 2009

My Kitchen......an interruption in service.........changing to my Girls' Bedroom

Ok, my husband went to put the pantry together and had the wrong pieces (pt. 2). Well, since then, we have just been waiting around for the new pieces to arrive. So, until that magic moment when they arrive, I am going to (cringe) start work on my daughters' bedroom instead.

Recently I took everything out of my girls' room (ages 8, 5 1/2, 3 1/2) except their beds. They were not putting anything away.....despite the numerous different setups I had tried in getting their rooms decluttered, rearranged & reorganized. Every single week (Thursdays usually), I would get so frustrated by the mess, I would do another purge. Their toys got banished to the playhouse outside, they lost their tv privledges, their art supplies got taken to my small, already overcrowded office space. Their clothes got moved to the living room (and yes it drove me bonkers).

I recently put their clothes back in their room, but am beginning to have the same problem of them just throwing the clothes in the floor....even after "I" put them away. So, to solve this problem, I have taken their 9drawer cubby system (target with the fabric drawers) out of their dark closet, and moved it out into the bedroom, where they can see it again. AND, I have made it Caity's responsibility to put the clothes away. I have tried everyone putting their own clothes away, but Brea & Rory just did not care. They would take their clothes and toss them in the floor. I think Caity will be better at enforcing keeping the clothes put away than me, since she is now responsible for putting them away. She likes to do as little work as possible, lol, so she's not gonna want to keep putting the same clothes away over & over.

They have a bunk bed and I put the 3rd mattress under the bunk bed & it is pulled out every night (I am going to buy a trundle box for her bed). So, right now, the room is fairly empty. But I want to get their toys & art stuff back in there just not sure how to go about it yet.

So, I have a very small 13'X8' room for these 3 girls.....emptied it out of everything except their clothes.........and now..........I want to do the unthinkable..........and add a fourth girl to this room.....In a crib!!!

And, I am debating making my dh trade rooms with the girls, since his room is bigger.

LOL....I never can make things easy, can I???

Ok, so no pictures to post yet, I am going to think over the possibilities in my head about what I want to do. If anyone has any ideas, PLEASE, feel free to share them with me!

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea having Caity be responsible for the clothes. How is she doing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured even if I can't get them to quit throwing clothes in the floor Caity CAN...haha. She is doing great so far :)

    ReplyDelete